An A.P.P.L.E. a Month

Keanu Waters, Ross Senior Class President

Adaptable, Positive, Productive, Leaders, and Eager: Five words that come to mind when I think about Brentwood students. For years, we, the student body, have been unable to unify as one socially diverse group, to express our overall thoughts about Brentwood High School. Mr. Callan and I have established the A.P.P.L.E Society, which builds a construct of unimaginable possibilities for students’ voices to be heard. The A.P.P.L.E. Society is a team of hand-picked students that are recognized as leaders of their own social group. Students from all ages, grade rankings and programs meet once or twice a month before each BUFSD board meeting to suggest improvements, as well as concerns we have. On Wednesday, October 11th, we met with the sheriff of Suffolk County, Captain Errol Toulon, along with Superintendent Mr. Loeschner, to discuss school safety. We touched upon the use of ‘vapes’ and e-cigarettes, bullying and our overall school culture. We presented various ideas we agreed would help, such as the possible appearance of Sheriff Toulon at our annual Career Day held by Mr. Ingram, and more assemblies that every student would be able to attend. At the end of the meeting, both parties came to a realization that our goals are the same: safety and prosperity among Brentwood High School, not just as a community, but as a family.