Pow Wow News

Fashion Club Celebrates Diverse Body Types

Brentwood high school stands up against bullying through fashion and creativity.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students in fashion club train for upcoming show to perfect their craft.

Jenna German

Jenna German

Jenna German

Jenna German, Staff Writer

Fashion industries have been scrutinized for diminishing the confidence and health of both men and women by catering to unrealistic body standards. Students at Brentwood High School are now challenging these standards with their “Anti-Bullying Fashion Club Movement.”  The club consists of different components like modeling, design, and dancing, allowing students to experience various fields of artistry.

Brentwood High School students are making a change in the right direction by using fashion as an expressive outlet to combat bullying. The Fashion Club is responsible for hosting a fashion show during the year where its designers can display their pieces worn by the club’s members. The annual fashion show came about  in 2015 and was inspired by a Brentwood High School student named Tania. When she was bullied by her 5th grade teacher, she sought to shift her focus from the negativity she faced in her classroom. Soon, Tania found herself spending time with her grandmother, who kept her busy by teaching her how to sew. She eventually created her own articles of clothing and brought her talents and ideas into the high school.

Through the help of this club, many students have gained confidence in themselves and their work. Icesis Garrett, a veteran in the club who is now in her senior year, said  “You learn how to love others and love yourself through the club.” Even new members like junior Alyssa Gonzalez believe that the club is beneficial. Alyssa stated, “Fashion club feels like a family!  Everyone is so positive and showers each other with compliments.” Mrs. Cordero, the club’s advisor, places emphasis on the club’s true purpose of building character: “Getting to know, respect[ing], tolerat[ing], and accept[ing] our classmates” is more important, while “the clothing is just secondary.”

Many social platforms have allowed people to join in on the wave of body acceptance and representation. Numerous Instagram accounts have been displaying images full of self-love and positivity. The website GrownandFlown has written an article entitled “13 Body Positive Instagram Accounts that Make Teens Feel Great.”  Click this link to check it out! https://grownandflown.com/13-body-positive-instagram-accounts-teens-feel-great/

The date for the upcoming fashion show hosted by the club will be announced soon. Stay tuned for coverage on this iconic event!