Sophia Seda’s Swan Song

Sophia Seda, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Sports Editor

This was definitely not a Disney Channel Original Movie. And though this isn’t some summer camp final jam, I’m so proud of my time in Brentwood and literally “Wouldn’t Change a Thing.” It’s bittersweet to leave, knowing my memories and time spent growing up will remain within these walls. I can only take the lessons I’ve learned both educationally and emotionally with me beyond that.  

Every senior I’ve ever met always said, “it’ll all be worth it to have your moment walking across the stage.” So since then, I’ve tried so desperately to make every moment count. Whether it was my hours in the newspaper office, the years I spent training on the swim team, or even the life I created performing on the Brentwood stages, I’ve noticed that within each larger moment, there was an underlying feeling. The “this is it.” The “remember this moment because it is fleeting, and you will never see it again.” In those small realizations, I tried my best to absorb the experience with every sense I had. I knew that those minutes wouldn’t last forever, but my recollection of them would.  

I wish there was a way I could thank all the adults who have had an impact on me. Some including my coaches, for always believing in me and pushing me to do better. My newspaper advisors, for nourishing my skill and helping my grow into my passion. And all the musical administration, from directors, to choreographers, to music teachers, for teaching me teamwork and dedication. From these adults, I learned who I was. The wisdom they held taught me more than any textbook could and forced me to find my way.  

I know I’m not done finding myself. I know that in some years, I’ll read this back questioning why I thought I had it all figured out. Well future me, I know I don’t. But I’m a lot closer to the person I want to be now than I was three years ago when I got here. I hope I never forget how strongly my high school experience has changed who I am. Leaving high school, I have no regrets. There is nothing I would change, nothing I would redo, nothing I would erase from my memory. I know that every experience has come together and created the person I aspired to be when I was little. 

If I could give any advice to my younger self, or anyone reading this, it would just be to focus on the moment you’re in. If you keep looking for something, you will miss the most amazing moments happening right in front of you. And choose happiness now rather than later. If you stumble on bad times, know that they will pass. I always say never confuse a season for a lifetime and that quote has gotten me through the deepest valleys and highest peaks of my young adulthood. I hope it can shed some light on the lives of my readers.  

When I step off the graduation stage, I know I’ll never see the school the same way again. No longer a student, if I ever get the chance to walk the halls again, I’ll have the eyes of an alumni. Now I’ve stopped seeking moments to remember, and started stumbling on moments I reminisce. To this very bittersweet moment, to the pains of growing up, and to the glimpses of a home in between, goodbye Brentwood High School.  

Sincerely, 

Sophia Seda
Co-Editor-In-Chief Emeritus