Ashley Alcantara’s Swan Song

Ashley Alcantara, Co-Arts & Entertainment Editor

At last, the school year is coming to an end. 

And the future before me is straight ahead. 

But I can’t help but feel disheartened, as I feel like many rocks are weighing down on me. 

However, I won’t walk away in despair. 

Instead, I’ll walk away knowing that the memories and relationships I made will be with me everywhere. 

As I look back on this long journey, I’ve come to appreciate the opportunities that I’ve had and the teachers, mentors, and friends that I’ve grown close to more and more. 

Dr. Grella always had a keen eye for spotting potential and turning one’s passions into a reality. 

Mrs. Kelly has always been my number one go to person, as she always has the right words to say, and comes up with a remedy. 

Her dedication to helping students like myself both during and after school academically, physically, and emotionally will never be forgotten, just like her funny expression “Check out the asymptote on that mother function!”.  

My high school experience wouldn’t be complete without mentioning the opportunities and clubs that I’ve had the pleasure of participating in! 

Through Research, I participated in the Regeneron Science Talent Search Competition, Board of Education and Brookhaven National Lab meetings, worked on podcasts for our Letssciencethat website, and worked with Dr. Padilla from Stony Brook. 

I’ll never forget the time spent in newspaper club, when my friends and I had to hide from the janitor when editing the newspaper after school.  

Newspaper club was always something I looked forward to, as I could take upon creative liberty, express myself, and bring attention to specific issues or events. 

Now, as the final days are nearing, I look back at the school before me in gratitude. 

People outside of the community, might view BHS as being crude. 

But what they don’t know is that within Brentwood lies future leaders who work tirelessly to achieve their goals and give back to the community. 

And for that, I am proud to be a Brentwood student and withhold this identity!