Memoirs of Alumni: Volume 5

Jessica Hsu, Editor-in-Chief

Among the many new staff members to join the Brentwood family this school year is Ms. Edouard. She taught French levels one and two last year as a part-time teacher and this is her first year working as a full-time teacher. Currently, she’s split between the high school and South Middle.  

Ms. Edouard attended Laurel Park, East Middle, the Freshman Center and then went to the Academy of St. Joseph for a year before returning back to BHS and graduating as part of the 2007 class.  

As a student, Ms. Edouard did not have the opportunity to participate in many extracurricular activities. Instead, she worked in the business office with Mr. Ingram, Mrs. Rickey, Mrs. Gans and Mr. Cheng. After school, she worked part-time at the St. Joseph Convent down Brentwood Rd. 

Looking back, Ms. Edouard reflects that she had many wonderful teachers that have shaped her life. One teacher who especially stands out was Mrs. Herbs, or Madame Herbs, her French teacher.  

“It was evident that Madame Herbs loved being a French teacher. She was engaging and she provided a choice for lessons. She advocated for all her students. Although she had high expectations, I really think it’s because she knew what we were capable of. Her classroom was a safe place and we were encouraged to share, think and express ourselves.” 

Ms. Edouard still remembers how her French teacher wanted her students to greet her everyday, “Bonjour Madame Herbs! Comment ça va?” 

Recounting her overall experience at the high school, Ms. Edouard said she still recalls her first day of high school vividly. 

“I really had a great experience and a great group of friends. I had really little to no drama. What I remember the most were the hilarious skits and dialogues as well as crepes that we made in my 10th grade French class.”   

Since her time as a student in Brentwood, Ms. Edouard notes that the most significant change is how technology has transformed school classrooms. Chalkboard and dry erase boards have been replaced by smart boards and interactive boards. 

“We used to get really excited when we noticed our teacher rolling the VCR projectors. That meant that we were taking a break and watching a movie.”  

More importantly, Ms. Edouard points out the lower tolerance the school has for bullying now.  

“I was raised in Brentwood and I grew up in Brentwood. I really remember feeling safe and, in the city, it’s a melting pot with so many different cultures and languages.” 

Her motivation in becoming a teacher was essentially due to the influence of the teachers she had while growing up.  

“What I really noticed was that my teachers always seem happy here and they always seemed like they loved what they were doing, so I was determined to serve the Brentwood community. I love everything about the Brentwood School District. I work with many teachers I had such as Mr. Roderick and Mr. Quenneville.” 

Ms. Edouard hopes that she will be able to make a difference in the lives of her students by being a teacher. In particular, she expresses her wish to be a role model or at least, a positive influence as a woman of color in the educational workforce.  

Her ultimate advice to students is, “Don’t be in a hurry to grow up. Enjoy your time in school and in Brentwood.”