Gen Z Brings Back Y2K Fashion

Marlen Maldonado, Staff Writer

Styles always change over time, but old ones are never forgotten. People always want to go back in time, so they do it in fashion.

According to “Y2K Fashion Aesthetic: How to Wear Y2K Fashion in 2022,” people are advancing the early 2000s style into modern fashion. The Y2K look is “a blend of pop culture and tech advancements from the millennium, from the Y2K bug in 1999 to the launch of Bratz dolls in 2001, there are plenty of nostalgic influences that are present today.” 

The style consists of several different aesthetics, including pastel colors, girly and glitzy form, or even a grungier look as seen in skirts or baggy pants and crop tops: “think shiny materials, chunky sneakers, pleated skirts, baguette bags, and colorful sunglasses. You can find tops with quirky quotes, cute characters, or patterns of the iconic Y2K brands like Fiorucci or Juicy Couture.” 

“Y2K is an effective way for people to express themselves and to me it’s nice to see how people incorporate fashion into their own style,” said Kevin Rios, a junior at Brentwood High School. 

Even though there are people who like the style coming back, some believe we should leave old fashion trends in the past and start something new for our generation.

“I feel like that’s cool, but I do not like that the trend is back since it leaves no room for change,” said Joshua Wilgan, a senior at Brentwood High School. 

What many people may not know is that black women started this trend first. According to “Gen Z Has Brought Back Y2K in a major way- But why?” the article notes that Gen Z’s image of Y2K fashion is whitewashed. The article states, “A lot of prominent Black celebrities who were hugely inspirational in fashion back then [include] Missy Elliot, Kamora Lee Simmons, and Aailiyah, but most of the mood boards are of Paris Hilton and Regina George from Mean Girls.”

It’s unclear how long Gen Z will stick to their Y2K fashion choices, so enjoy those low-rise jeans and butterfly clips while they’re still “in”!