Addams Family Musical is Frightfully Fun

Mariana Arboleda, Editor-in-Chief

For the first time in almost two years, the Performing and Fine Arts Department proudly welcomed students to the stage for the high school’s newest musical phenomenon: The Addam’s Family. The musical had its first performances on February 9 and 10, with evening performances on February 11 and 12 at 7:30 p.m.  

On opening night, the musical was already a total success for both the cast and the crew who earnestly worked during rehearsals to achieve a performance with little to no mistakes on stage. They had a completely full house with everyone in the community coming together to watch the performances. 

The cast was also nominated and won as the Best Ensemble in a Musical by the Islip Arts Council in June, a huge win for Brentwood’s Theater and Fine Arts Department. The success that is attributed to their hard work did not come easy though.  

With rehearsals until 5 p.m. and sometimes even later, both the cast and the crew compromised their time and dedication to deliver the best they could.  

Rachel Ferzola, director and choreographer for this year’s musical, is the person behind this incredible production that captured the audience’s hearts and attention. She attributes the musical’s success to the “endurance of the cast” that helped the musical run smoothly even through many complications.  

“Their unwavering support of one another absolutely assisted in the success of the production,” Mrs. Ferzola said. 

The musical’s interesting storyline and characters also attracted intrigue. “The stage had been dark since March 2020. We needed a show that would garner the interest from the students,” Mrs. Ferzola said.  

This was Mrs. Ferzola’s first time directing a high school production, although she has worked for years as the high school’s spring musical choreographer. 

“This cast, and my production staff, rose to the occasion and gave it everything they had,” she said. She is immensely proud of how the cast and crew worked together to make the musical come to life, even without her assistance. 

The cast also gained new experiences and formed long-lasting friendships that proved to be impactful during the rehearsals and the performances.

“Everyone in the cast is so kindhearted,” said Valery Ramirez, a current senior who played Alice Beineke, the mother and wife in the musical.  

“The biggest challenge I had to face were my fears” she said. However, she agrees that with hard work and the loving and supportive cast next to her, she was able to overcome these feelings and fully enjoy this amazing experience.  

Giselle Casiano, who played Morticia, was another cast member whose hard work clearly paid off. By the end of the shows, she was acclaimed for her perfect representation of the character of Morticia. Her dedication, along with the many other cast members, truly demonstrates how hardworking and dedicated the cast were to be able to pull off their characters with such ease. 

A special thank you is also given to the backstage members, who were present at all times assisting the cast by setting up the microphones, managing the lights, moving set pieces, or fixing tiny mistakes so that the show looked flawless to the audience.

“Everyone on the crew was super nice and I liked hanging out with them between shows,” said Janice Aragon, the crew manager. She, along with Allison Argomedo, made sure that everything went smoothly behind the scenes.  

“Ultimately, we ended with a great crew who performed well together,” adds Mr. Ortiz, a middle school teacher at Brentwood, in charge of building the stage. He witnessed how well everyone in the crew worked together and independently.  

“Due to the dedication of so many students and staff members, we were able to bring the beauty of the arts back to Brentwood High School,” Mrs. Ferzola said.

With the final shows ending, the cast and crew left with unforgettable memories that will mark their high school careers. 

“I will be eternally grateful to the cast and crew of the Addams Family, as they worked so hard to bring my vision to life,” Mrs. Ferzola said.  “It was an absolute success. And I owe every bit of its success to all involved.”