Mascot Crisis: Brentwood Prepares for Impending Emblem Changes

Karla Chica

On April 18, 2023, the New York State Board of Regents (BOR) collectively decided to adopt part 123 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education (“the regulation”). This new part was put into place May 3, 2023, which now prohibited the use of having any indigenous related terms to any NYS schools in terms of team names, mascots, or logos.  

This has been a longstanding debate for over twenty-two years because of the effect it could have on indigenous students. According to Stephanie Fryberg, Ph.D., University of Michigan, “American Indian Mascots are harmful not only because they are often negative, but because they remind American Indians of the limited ways in which others see them. This, in turn, restricts the number of ways American Indians can see themselves.”  

The original Brentwood Indians mascot image.

Not only does the use of Indigenous related terms in school undermine the understanding of the true indigenous life to those who have little to no contact with Indigenous people, but it also establishes an unwelcome and unsafe learning environment for American Indian students. The goal of changing indigenous mascots is to negate the misconception about American Indian Culture.  

Timeframe  Action  Resource  
April 2001  Release of Memo by then Commissioner Mills calling upon communities using Indigenous symbols, names, or mascots to end their use. 

Public Schools Use of Native American 

Names. Symbols, and Mascots 

September 

2010 

Adoption of New York State’s Dignity for 

All Students Act (DASA) 

Dignity for All Students Act website 

November 

2021 

Appeal of McMillan et al. to the Commissioner of 

Education. 

Decision No. 18.058: Appeal of 

McMillan et al, to the Commissioner of Education 

June 2022 

Supreme Court (Albany County) affirmation of the Commissioner’s determination in McMillan et al. 

November 

2022 

Release of Memo by Senior Deputy Commissioner James N. Baldwin stating that “public school districts are prohibited from utilizing Native American mascots” and must commit to changing them by the end of the 2022-23 academic year. 

Use of Native American Mascots 

December 2022 

Release of draft regulation proposing the addition of 

Part 123 of the Regulations of the 

Commissioner of Education relating to prohibiting the use of Indigenous Names, Mascots, and Logos by 

Public Schools. 

Proposed Addition of Part 123 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education Relating to Prohibiting the Use of Indigenous Names, Mascots, and 

Logos by Public Schools 

April 2023 

Final adoption of regulation adding Part 123 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education relating to prohibiting the use of Indigenous Names, Mascots, and Logos by Public Schools. 

Logos by Public Schools 

Ongoing 

Any district that requires assistance or has questions can contact NYSED by emailing the Office of 

Indigenous Education. 

mascotadvisory@nvsed.gov 

May 3, 2023 

Effective date of Part 123 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education relating to prohibiting the use of Indigenous Names, Mascots, and Logos by 

Public Schools. 

Logos by Public Schools 

May 3, 2023 

If applicable, written agreements between federally or state-recognized tribal nations must be in effect. 

§ 123.4(b) 

June 30, 2023 

Boards of education must commit, via resolution, to eliminating the use of all 

Indigenous names, logos, and mascots. 

§ 123.3(a) 

June 30, 2025 

Prohibited team names, mascots, or logos shall be eliminated. 

§ 123.3(a) 

The deadline for changing school names, mascots, and logos been moved from July 1, 2023, to the end of the 2024/2025 school year. The Board of Education (BOE) has decided not to rush into changing the name because of the time allotted. Richard Loeschner, the Superintendent of all Brentwood Schools, sent an email to all community members May 24th, 2023, stating “The intention of the district is to meet with various stake holders next year and devise a plan to select a name and logo sometime in the 2023/2024 school year. This will give the district and community plenty of time to transition from Brentwood Indians to the new name and logo.” 

Acting Brentwood High School Principal Dr. Dulin formed a council of students from the high school that act as the representatives of each class. As a council, they decided that a contest should be held to determine the future mascot. All 18 schools in the district would hold a contest within their school to decide which mascot of their choice, which would be submitted into a contest by the Board of Education.  

Students can work as a team or individually in their respective school to decide which mascot and logo should be nominated. Both mascot and logo should correlate and inspire current and future students to strive for excellence in all fields of education, athletics, and creativity, as well as remaining the traditional green and white colors of Brentwood.  

Once all schools submit their nominations, the principal’s council and BOE will meet and discuss the votes and narrow it down to three. The three nominees would be sent out to the community and district and would be voted on. The first-place winner would be the new mascot of the Brentwood School District.