Annual Pancake Run Raises Student Funds

Stefany Tribeno, Staff Writer

“Congratulations to the winning runners!” The Gary Mintz 5k Run in support of Brentwood High School’s scholarship fund took place on Sunday, December 3rd. This annual event was hosted by Brentwood High School in support of the senior class. Everyone was invited to participate and volunteer. Prizes were given out as as well as free pancakes to those who finished the race. Thanks to all of the sponsors and volunteers, the run was a huge success.

Origin Story

This event was created in honor of one of the high school’s former principals, Gary Mintz. He was a principal in Brentwood High School from 1989 to 1995. After he passed away, his idea of creating a 5k race in the community to raise scholarship funds for the seniors of BHS was finally implemented by Mr. O’Brien, another former principal. For the past 7 years, the run has been organized by Gary Repetto, the chairperson of the science department. This year was the 23rd consecutive year that the high school hosted the run. Mr. Repetto himself said, “The responsibilities of the race were huge”.

Prizes

There were many prizes given out to the senior race winners. Some of these prizes included a $300 school ring, $200 photo package, 19 prom tickets, and 18 yearbooks. All the prizes handed out this year “shattered records” according to Mr.Repetto. Each of the participants was automatically entered into the raffle. They also had the chance to buy more tickets to win one of the many gift baskets that were personally handmade by current high school teachers and staff. “Hundreds of people from around the district donated and, also around the community,” said Mr.Repetto.

Results

It still surprises Mr.Repetto how many people knew Gary Mintz and how each year he learns more and more about him. This race is seen as a very important event to Brentwood and to the eyes of many people, it brings together everyone to honor and admire an administrator who was a great contributor to this school and the community. “We’re the largest school 5k race on Long Island. Nobody has it bigger than us,” stated Mr. Repetto. It is an incredible achievement for Brentwood High School to be recognized in this way. The amount of people who participate in this event is impressive and how many return each year to compete makes this occasion just as special.