Pow Wow News

‘Tis The Season For Giving: Boys’ Basketball Team Combats a Giftless Christmas

Jefferson Michel and Franklin Serrano

BRENTWOOD,NY (BHSJ) — This year, Brentwood High School held its 6th Annual Toy Drive in partnership with the United States Marine Corps. For the first half of December, teachers and students were asked to donate various kinds of toys to families that might not be able to afford them this holiday season.

There were many morning announcements and posters that informed the school about the toy drive and where they could donate. One of the Guidance counselors of Ross High School – and also the Boys Varsity Basketball Coach, Mr. Jimenez, was responsible for organizing the drive. He also had assistance from the Varsity Boy’s Basketball Team and his assistant coaches.

The school was overflowing with holiday spirit as many faculty members and students contributed this year. The presents came in all shapes and sizes. When asked why he started the drive with his team, Mr. Jimenez stated that he was inspired to take part “so that underprivileged children can have presents for Christmas.” Even though Christmas is a time when we normally look forward to receiving gifts, the holiday toy drive reminds us of the importance of giving.