Mindfulness Meditation: A Superhuman Gift

NooR Fatima

Students attending a session of Mindfulness Meditation. (Harpreet ’19 Ahmad ’19 and Jennifer ’19) (right to left)

NooR Fatima, Staff Writer

Everyday, we recharge our phones but we forget to recharge ourselves. As we experience the complex or even trivial happenings of our days, we lose energy. When our phones’ battery life  reaches twenty percent, we get an alert warning us to plug it in. Our bodies give us a similar signal when we are tired or exhausted from a long day. Many of us don’t listen to our brain, body, or mind to realize in which way it is that we must recharge. One of these ways is employed by many—exercising. When one is exhausted, exercise refuels the body, allowing it to produce more serotonin – a hormone that sends the nervous system signals of happiness.

What the gym does for the body, mediation does for the mind. It gives us the downtime to recharge our batteries. It enables us to connect with ourselves beyond the physical world. It provides an outlet to purify and aid in the process of self-realization. It teaches one to be more aware of his ego, emotions, and environment. An odds-defying individual, Wim Hof, better known  as “The Iceman,” credits his superhuman abilities to the basic controlled breathing techniques which he has mastered over the years. Hof has trained his body to sustain extreme temperatures and conditions that even scientists had declared humanly impossible. He climbed Mt. Everest in nothing but shorts, and can spend hours in water that’s in subzero temperatures. This “Superhuman” has used meditation to discipline his mind to tune into his “inner thermostat.” Hof shows that “mind over matter” is the ultimate way to lead a fulfilling life.

A transformative initiative at Brentwood High School this school year is the introduction of Mindfulness Mondays in the Puleo Lecture Hall. Ms. Guomba, an advent promoter of meditation and healthy living, provides the opportunity to students and staff members to join her in a peaceful setting to start off the week on the right foot.
Ahmad, a senior who attended some sessions, said it gave him “a calm and fresh start to the week.” Another senior, Jennifer, claimed it helped her “feel peaceful.” High school can be stressful for students who race the clock to balance all the activities and responsibilities of becoming young adults. Meditation can change the perspective of stress for many and sequel in a more productive and conscious lifestyle.

Ms. Guomba is also looking for a student leader to start an afterschool club for meditation to further this objective. If you are interested in Mindfulness Meditation, contact Ms.Guomba. You can also attend the weekly sessions in the Puleo Lecture Hall on Mondays at 7:05 before school starts.