A Spooktacular Friday Evening With Mundos!

Fernando Sanchez, Writer

On the 27th of October the Mundos group held an exciting Halloween dance from 2pm to 5:30pm in the Sonderling Senior Cafeteria. The admission to get in was 5 dollars, but trust me it was a 5 dollars well spent as there was food, drinks, and even a DJ there to give you some of the hottest Hispanic music out right now! This dance was put together to celebrate both the incredibly frightening spirit of Halloween with all its costumes, and decorations, and the proud Hispanic culture with the pupusas (a thick corn tortilla with a savory filling of beans and cheese) and Spanish music like salsa and reggaeton playing in the background.

It took a while for the party to begin, but we were greeted at the door by a senior dressed as a police officer — incredibly creative! She told me in Spanish “It’s going to be an incredible night to see how creative everyone can be with their costumes!”  They had a huge dance floor for students to show off their incredible dance moves while some of the hottest Hispanic music played in the background. A senior who was dressed up as a skeleton said, “It’s always exciting whenever Mundos hosts any kind of event like this!” which showing by the emotoion filled in the senior cafeteria, he was on the dot!

We unfortunately couldn’t speak to Mrs Cabrera, the person that conducted this dance, because she was extremely busy. Fortunately Kevin, who is a senior and a proud member of Mundos said, “Mrs. Cabrera put in a lot of effort to making this as entertaining and fun for all the people who spent 5 dollars to come here!”An unidentified Junior who is also a member of Mundos said,  “We are always excited whenever there’s a dance like this, because it’s a safe, exciting, and unique way to celebrate such a popular event like Halloween!”

Events like this are important to celebrate because of how much of the Brentwood population has Hispanic heritage and they should feel welcomed and loved here at Brentwood High School. With a little bit more than three fourths of the Brentwood School District population having a Hispanic background, there has to be events like this to appeal to that large population and celebrate their heritage. Keep your eyes open for future Mundos events.

JR